Windows News and info 15th Anniversary 2009-2024
Other Operating Systems => Windows 7 All => Windows 7 | Windows 9 => Just bought Windows 7? => Topic started by: okitsme on October 26, 2009, 07:45:50 PM
-
Hi all,
Not sure I got the right thread here but this is my question.
I have got Home Pre Win7 64 bit but I can't run some really old games in 32 bit, error message says that I need to check what version I need and contact the software vendor (which I know they don't support the games I have). One option was to download Virtual PC but I can't unless I upgrade to Professional, is there any way round this? I am a little peed at MS for its optoins on Virtual PC.
I could install Win7 32 bit but don't want to as I have a 64 bit system etc
Ian
-
You can dual-boot a 32 bit version on the same machine, just create a new clean partition and pop the disk in, follow the instructions and point to the new partition... 8)
-
okitsme, I have both 32 bit and 64 bit installed on my PC.
As DMHolt57 says partition yer hard drive and put the 32 bit on the other partition.
Best of both worlds.
-
I take it that they don't consider that as installing on two computers?
-
It's kind of like a rule of thumb: Same computer, same motherboard, same license.
-
If you have is large enough HDD you can partition it 4 times and have 4 OSes on it. I had One time I had W2K, XP, Vista Home Prem, and OS X Tiger on a 750GB HDD. Everything ran smoothly. OS X was a bit choppy but when you hack an Apple product and install it on a PC just to see if it will work, you kinda have to expect it to be sketchy.
-
I don't know how true this is,i can't remember where i got it from,as alot of things i know.I thought 64 bit used a slightly different file system so generally it's not a good idea to put 32 and 64 on the same hd(even tho' i have done it)and if u r in a 64 bit system,not to access a disk with 32 bit - saved stuff as it can muck it up.Anyone know if there is any truth in this?
-
Hello rover3500, that's an interesting thought coz all my data is on my second drive.
The first drive is partitioned into three.
XP Pro on one, Win 7x86 on two, and on three Win 7x64.
I use the x64 as my default boot and these days rarely use the other two OS's.
But are you saying that it is pos that I am compromising my data by accessing it from both 32 bit apps and 64 bit bit apps.
For example my outlook.pst is on the data drive and can be got at via each OS.
-
thanks all, i think i will go with a dual boot, i have the 32bit and 64 bit win7 DVD as part of the pack i bought but can i use the same key for both?
ian
-
Yes the key is only specific to the product edition (Home Premium keys only work for Home Premium, for example) but not to architecture type (64 or 32 bit).
-
thanks all, i think i will go with a dual boot...
Good decision 8)