Author Topic: Are you going to buy Windows 7?  (Read 5361 times)

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
Are you going to buy Windows 7?
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Are you going to buy Windows 7?

Tell us your plans.
WITH THE RELEASE of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system just around the corner, we're curious to know what your plans are for the Vole's latest OS, if any.

Are you getting your copy as soon as you possibly can or will you prefer to wait until the dust has settled? Perhaps you're taking full advantage of the release candidate version before forking out your hard earned dosh, or maybe you intend to avoid the operating system by sticking with XP or another platform entirely.

When you have any comments feel free to leave them here.

Admin

Offline Samtastic

• I do Windows, Mac, iOS and Video Games
    • Wordpress Sam's Site
Re: Are you going to buy Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »
I ordered my copy yesterday! I can't wait!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:47:57 PM by Sam »
Sam
Windows News & Info Super Moderrator
Video game Reporter
Youtube.co.uk/Samlaptop950 (Electronic Games High Scores and Gameplay,)
Oddworld and other video games walkthroughs, Speedruns and Tool Assisted Runs)
Twitch.tv/Samtastic95 (Speedruns and playthroughs)

Offline Jake

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »
I've just installed my permanent copy (instead of all the test builds and disk partitions) and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it.  It's a lot less complicated too when you've got 1 OS, and 1 spare blank partition (saving it for leaked Windows 8 builds ;)) instead of my previous setup of quad-booting.

Although I've just discovered you can't add network drives to the libraries without making a symbolic link and some other stuff.  A bit of a disappointment I must say.

Note: MS if you're reading this please add the ability to attach mounted network drives to Libraries, it would be a great feature!
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline Samtastic

• I do Windows, Mac, iOS and Video Games
    • Wordpress Sam's Site
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
I've just installed my permanent copy (instead of all the test builds and disk partitions) and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it.  It's a lot less complicated too when you've got 1 OS, and 1 spare blank partition (saving it for leaked Windows 8 builds ;)) instead of my previous setup of quad-booting.

Although I've just discovered you can't add network drives to the libraries without making a symbolic link and some other stuff.  A bit of a disappointment I must say.

Note: MS if you're reading this please add the ability to attach mounted network drives to Libraries, it would be a great feature!

Prehaps when they reelase SP1. Why not you report it to Microsoft Connect?
Sam
Windows News & Info Super Moderrator
Video game Reporter
Youtube.co.uk/Samlaptop950 (Electronic Games High Scores and Gameplay,)
Oddworld and other video games walkthroughs, Speedruns and Tool Assisted Runs)
Twitch.tv/Samtastic95 (Speedruns and playthroughs)

Offline littlemax9

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
 ;D pics pics !!!!
“People liked NASCAR because the constant crashes made it exciting, and this gave me an idea...” - Bill Gates on Microsoft Windows

Offline anykey

• in the leafy suburbs of sarf west London
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
... It's a lot less complicated too when you've got 1 OS, and 1 spare blank partition ... instead of my previous setup of quad-booting.

oooo, so you have got rid of your old familiar OS.
Dunno if you came from Vista or XP.
I came from XP and have left it on my dual boot system - just in case.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

Offline bluemomentbass

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
Newegg has updated that my pre-order has just shipped.  I got in on the $49 Home Premium Upgrade deal from back in June

Offline Jake

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »

Prehaps when they reelase SP1. Why not you report it to Microsoft Connect?

I did but it'll take more than one person to request this feature.  Maybe if I got 10 others to do it MS would start to think "Hey this might be a nice update, won't be to hard to implement either"

Although I have discovered a workaround, mount the network shares as drives, then in Media Center include them in your library.  Apparently the libraries in Media Center and explorer are integrated (sounds logical to me) so they appear.  There is just a large message on top that says "Due to blah blah blah some features are not available for all files."  Haven't found any of these 'unavailable features yet so... I'm all good  ;D
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline zYb

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:16 PM »
Got my confirmation email yesterday that money was being taken out of my account for me pre-orders... :-)...

have i bought win7?

YES, YES, YES...!

first OS from M$ that i've bought in many years and WELL worth the money...

zYb

Offline eyelburm8

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
I've been using the RC which I got from this site and have really got to like it, I also used XP before but W7 is so much slicker that I ordered the professional version using a college email....

Offline dandgbathome

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
Posted by: eyelburm8
Insert Quote
I've been using the RC which I got from this site and have really got to like it, I also used XP before but W7 is so much slicker that I ordered the professional version using a college email....

OK, so where did you find the UK option to order using a HE Email address?,
Ican only find the US student option.

Offline PcCowboy

• Lewis Saddle Shop
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:04 AM »
Mine coming from newegg also- checked the ups site and it is delayed-won't be here until the 27th--should had been here today.
My son got his today and it has a 32b cd and a 64b cd. Think I'm going to try 64b for the first time.
One bit of bad news tho--I had heard that we would be able to install to a desktop and a laptop.
But according to the paperwork you can't do that.
AMD Phenom X3 64 8750
Windows 7 Build 7057
Asrock A780GXE/128M
4 G ram
XF 8800 GS video card
Xtreme Fidelity Gamer Pro

Offline Kenmac

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »
Received mine on 21st October.Installed the 64 bit version,realised most of my radio ham programs would not load or work with 64 bit.Another difficulty was loading McAfee security program which is supplied with my BT Broadband setup.It would not download,I disabled the UAC and it downloaded and installed ok,otherwise Win 7 is excellent and enjoying finding  how it all works.

Offline ibhsffo

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »
After using the beta I preordered 2 copies of Home Premium. :)

Offline lloydkuhnle

• Lloyd's Page
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:12 PM »
I had pre-ordered 2 copies of WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM from the MICROSOFT Store back in July. They had a special $49.95 price, for a short period of time. How could anyone pass that one up?

As soon as I received the disks in October, I upgraded 2 of my computers from VISTA HOME PREMIUM.

The first upgrade was done to an Alienware Area-51 m9750 machine.
The second was done to my DELL XPS-410 Desktop. I had no glitches during the upgrade. MEDIA CENTER, and my MEDIA CENTER extender, worked right off the bat.

My only disappointment was the lack of Bluetooth support. It did take me a couple of days to get that back. I wound up installing Toshiba drivers which did the trick.

I am quite happy with WIN 7.

Offline VIP2006

• Email
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
I have ugraded 2 PCs and 1 Laptop from Vista Home Premium to Win7 Home Premium wihout any major problems although with some apprehension whilst it was doing the changeover. Like all new software it will have its "bugs" although if you looked at the vista updates that occured prior to the launch most of the updates were of Win7 make. (IMHO)
I hope that the service packs that will come will be as painless as they were for Vista. I have noticed that the new OS is much quicker to load and seems at this point in time has good stability. My 4th Laptop has XP OS and it needs the RAM and HDD upgraded before I jump it up to Win7 via Vista.