Author Topic: How to Install a USB Outlet in Your Wall  (Read 1398 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
    • Email
How to Install a USB Outlet in Your Wall
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:21:09 AM »
Ever find yourself juggling three or four different chargers on a two-socket outlet? Fix that problem once and for all by swapping out a traditional outlet for one that includes USB ports.

Because I live in an older house with exactly one duplex receptacle within reach of the bed, I'm often put in the position of deciding which modern convenience I'd rather live without: the window AC unit, my phone/alarm clock that needs to be perpetually charged, or the bedside lamp (which happens to be the only light in the bedroom.) I've often compromised by trying to read by the light of my phone screen which is not something I recommend if you actually like having working eyeballs.

It turns out there's an easy fix for this problem. You can find outlets that include USB ports at any of the big box stores these days. Many options give you the benefit of two traditional electrical receptacles plus two USB ports.

It almost sounds too good to be true and I'll admit, I hesitated to do this for a long time because USB outlets aren't cheap—around $25 apiece—and there's always a concern about the longevity of the technology. But even if things change in the next few years, switching a couple of outlets doesn't take much time and means I never have to choose between air conditioning and waking up on time.

Changing an outlet yourself isn't hard, and while you can do it with only a screwdriver (or two), there is one specialized tool I'd recommend for every DIYer: a voltage detector. It's one of them most useful tools in my toolbox, and costs less than $10.

Here are the basic steps to changing an outlet:

1. Shut off power to that particular outlet at your circuit breaker. Hopefully your breakers are labeled, but if not plug a lamp or corded radio into that outlet so you know when it's turned off.

2. Unscrew the faceplate. Most faceplates will require a flat-head screwdriver.

3. Use a voltage detector to check both sides of the receptacle and any other wires in the box. If you hear beeping and/or see flashing lights from the voltage detector, go back to the breaker box and make sure all applicable breakers are off.

4. Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the receptacle from the electrical box. There is usually one screw at the top and one at the bottom of each duplex receptacle.

5. Remove the wires from the old receptacle (using a flat or Phillips screwdriver) and attach them to the new one. You can also use a wire cutter to cut the wires off, but you'll have to strip about ˝" of sheathing to attach them to the new receptacle then. (If you go that route, I recommend something like this.)

The only trick here is attaching the different colored wires to the right spot:

Black (or hot) wires always attach to gold or black screws.

White (or neutral) wires always attach to silver or white screws.

Green or unsheathed wires (ground wires) always attach to green screws.

6. To attach the wires to the new outlet, use a pair of needle-nose pliers or a wire stripper to make a hook with the wire, loop it around the appropriately colored screw on the receptacle, then tighten the screw.

7. Once the wires are securely attached to the new receptacle, shove everything back into the electrical box, and screw the new receptacle into the box.

8. Turn the breaker back on. Check to make sure the receptacle is working, then install the faceplate on the new receptacle.

Voila! New receptacle, tons of new ways to plug things in, and no need to yell at your walls anymore.

source:lifehacker