Author Topic: Apple lied to you – iPad Air 2 is not the “world’s thinnest tablet”  (Read 4100 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
    • Email
Manufacturers are obsessed with throwing around words that make them stand out. We often hear about the “first”, “biggest”, “smallest”, “most” and, of course, “thinnest” devices. You better make sure you are right if you want to spit these words out, though. If not, the industry will jump on you.

Apple, in its marketing glory, is famous for saying things like: “this is the best _____ we have ever made”, or “this is the ______ iPad yet”. They manage to boost hype and impress the audience by bending their sentences, but every now and then they will own up to it and take an industry-wide position in the podium.

The iPad Air 2 was announced at yesterday’s Apple event, which Cupertino’s giant claims to be the “world’s thinnest tablet”. Apple senior vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller took the stage and these were his exact words:

“It is the thinnest iPad we have ever made. Just 6.1 mm thin. That’s 18% thinner than the first iPad Air, which was already 20% thinner than the iPad before it. It makes it the world’s thinnest tablet.”
At only 6.1 mm, it’s easy to imagine the new iPad Air 2 is, in fact, the thinnest tablet around. Well, we are here to mute their thunder and tell you such is not the case. That title still belongs to Dell’s Venue 8 7000 tablet (unless there is a thinner one we don’t know about), which measures only 6 mm in thickness. I mentioned the device in our iPad Mini 3 alternatives post.

One tenth of a millimeter more or less – who cares, right? In fact, this rant is not even about the fact that Apple lied. My problem is that no one even noticed they did!

Why did everyone ignore this?

I believe the most important factor here is the that there is a lot of ignorance surrounding the Dell Venue 8 7000. This Android tablet was unveiled at IDF 2014, right around the time when Apple and Motorola announced their new (and very exciting) smartphones.

It’s easy for the industry to ignore a Dell tablet in between so much madness. Especially considering the Dell Venue brand and Intel are usually associated with Windows tablets and the mobile industry is more prone to ignoring those. Hell, even fellow bloggers had no idea about the Dell Venue 8 7000 Android super tablet.

I attended IDF 2014 and was so excited to see the Dell Venue 8 7000. After mentioning it to my colleagues, I would be met with comments like: “oh, it’s like a Windows tablet or something, right?”, or sometimes a simple “the Dell what?!”.

If the tech blogosphere personalities didn’t know about it, do you think everyone else will? This is the reason why Apple can get away with falsely saying they have the thinnest tablet in the world.

—Dell Venue 8 7000

By the way, the Dell Venue 8 is one hell of a tablet!

I probably wouldn’t be so bothered if Dell’s tablet thinness was the only thing to write home about, but it’s actually an amazing device. It’s my very favorite tablet to date, in fact.

Other great attributes in the Dell Venue 8 7000 include a very solid metal build quality, as well as the multiple back cameras that give it features that assimilate those of Google’s Project Tango.

—Dell Venue 8 700 vs HTC One M8

One of my favorite parts is the display, which actually beats Apple’s Retina Display in resolution. The 8-inch screen features a 2560x1440p resolution, and the panel displays vibrant colors that you rarely see in comparable tablets.

Other specs include a 2.3 GHz Intel Atom Z3500 processor, 2 GB of RAM, 8MP/2MP cameras, 16 GB of internal storage and more.

It’s not only an important tablet to consider during an Apple announcement, but I believe it’s one of Apple’s biggest competitors in terms of quality. Sadly, the world doesn’t even know about it.

For more details on the Dell Venue 8 7000 go ahead and check out out hands-on post or check out the video below.

source:mobilegeeks